Study Questions: Concerns about ABA-based interventions
Leaf, J.B., Cihon, J. H., Leaf, R., McEachin, J., Liu, N., Russell, N., Unumb, L., Shapiro, s., & Khosrowshahi, D. (2021). Concerns about ABA-based intervention: An evaluation and recommendations. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
DOI: 10.1007/s10803-021-05137-y. PMID: 34132968
- What were the two purposes of the article?
- Discuss concerns expressed by some autism rights and neurodiversity activists about the work of Lovaas and the YAP (include outcomes and recommendations; should be about ½ page in length).
- Pick one of the terms discussed in the article and describe it as a behavior analyst and then as the general public. Discuss how the differing definitions may lead to disagreements/differing views among them.
- Discuss recommendations that were made regarding the concern that ABA-based interventions are abusive or lead to negative outcomes (speak to three of the five).
- What was your overall impression of the information presented in the article? Do you agree with the concerns and recommendations? What did you find surprising?