Questions about “the birth and life of opera”
Watch the following video and answers the following questions.
1. What was the name of the group which met in Florence to discuss opera?
2. Who wrote the very first opera? What was it called?
3. What is the name of the first true great opera? Who wrote it?
4. Why is it difficult to re-create exactly the original sound of Monteverdi’s opera?5. What did Monteverdi meant about opera by calling it “drama through music?
6. Who was Monteverdi’s patron?
7. Where Monteverdi moved to after his success in Mantua?
8. What play was performed in Paris just before the French Revolution swept through the country?
9. Why was it banned by the French monarchy?
10. Who was responsible for it’s performance as an opera in Vienna?
11. What is this opera’s true message?
12. What was the re-currying theme of “populist operas”?
13. Which was the most famous “rescue opera”? Who wrote it?
14. Why is “Fidelio” an important political piece?
15. What was the name of the duet which inspired the Belgian revolution?
16. Name of a great Italian opera composer.
17. Why is opera so important in Italy?