Once you have read this week’s readings, please complete this eResponse by writing concise but thorough answers to all of the following questions.
You must include page numbers in each question–your score will depend on it. I do not require any specific citation format. Just include (author last name, page number) at the end of the relevant sentences. Please note that you must cite when you draw any ideas from the text, whether or not you explicitly quote it. And you must draw your ideas from the text because that is the assignment.
Please be sure that if and when you use a direct quotation from the reading, you also explain what that quotation means in your own words.
Please complete your eResponse by the deadline listed for this assignment.
Questions (number your answers)
- Jensen marshals a thorough historical survey to question the universality of the blossoming human rights paradigm.
- Discuss one example from the reading that cast doubt on the universality of the UDHR.
- Discuss one example that bolstered the claim of universality.
- What was the Bandung conference? The participants in this conference focused on what right?
- What does Anderson’s chapter tell us about the indivisibility of the different categories of human rights (civil, political, social, economic, cultural)? Were they divided? What was the problem?
- Anderson explains that domestic pressures in the U.S. to protect white supremacy lead to compromises that weakened the enforcement structures of human rights. Describe one of these compromises.