Assignment 3: Clinical Application Paper (10 Points)
This course focuses on the applying various concepts specific to providing primary care to the adult population in a variety of settings. One skill the nurse practitioner student must acquire is the ability to critically appraise current evidence to provide the most up to date evidence-based care to patients.
For this assignment, students will synthesize the literature on a disorder that constitutes an intellectual or developmental disability. Refer to the developmental disabilities’ module in Weeks 1 and 2 of the Weekly Guide.
Develop an application paper that addresses the following criteria:
- Identify and describe selected intellectual or developmental disabilities disorder.
- Identify the epidemiological trends for condition [prevalence rate]
- Briefly discuss the pathophysiology of the selected disorder.
- Describe the clinical manifestations of the disorder.
- Discuss the physical presentation of the disorder.
- Discuss the psychosocial presentation of the disorder.
- Discuss how the nurse practitioner will manage patient encounters with patients with limited decision-making capacity and/or limited communication.
- Find a current clinical guideline relevant to selected disorder.
- Develop a treatment and management plan for the patient based on the selected disorder applying clinical guidelines.
- The scholarly paper should be in narrative format, 4 to 5 pages excluding the title and reference page.
- Include an introductory paragraph, purpose statement, and a conclusion.
- Include level 1 and 2 headings to organize the paper.
- Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use ‘we’ or ‘I’) and in a scholarly manner. To clarify: I, we, you, me, our may not be used. In addition, describing yourself as the researcher or the author should not be used.
- Include a minimum of three (3) professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal references to support the paper (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
- APA format is required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, and in-text citations).
- Submit paper to Assignment Drop Box for automatic Turnitin submission. Review the Turnitin originality report and make any necessary revisions before final submission.
- Re-submit final paper to the Assignment Drop Box by the posted due date.
Assignment 3: Clinical Application Paper Grading Rubric (10 points)
|Assignment Criteria||4 points||3 points||2 points||1 point|
|All criteria addressed, and all questions fully answered.||All criteria addressed, and most questions fully answered.||All criteria addressed, and most questions partially answered.||One or more criteria not addressed or completely answered.|
|Quality/Accuracy of Information||2 points||1.5 points||1 point||0.5 point|
|Information clearly relates to the main topic/criteria. It includes several supporting details and/or examples.||Information clearly relates to the main topic/criteria. It provides supporting details and/or examples.||Information clearly relates to the main topic/criteria. A few details and/or examples are given.||Information has little or nothing to do with the main topic/criteria.|
|Organization||2 points||1.5 points||1 point||0.5 point|
|Information is very organized with well-constructed paragraphs and levels of heading.||Information organized with well-constructed paragraphs and levels of heading.||There is an attempt at organization, but errors exist. No levels of heading.||The information or overall structure appears disorganized.|
|Sources||2 points||1.5 points||1 point||0.5 point|
|All references are from a relevant professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal, within a 5-year timeframe, or a classic/ historical source.||The majority of references are from a relevant professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal, within a 5-year timeframe or a classic/historical source.||Some references are from non-peer-reviewed scholarly sources or older than 5-years.||Majority of references are from non-peer-reviewed scholarly sources or older than 5-years.|
|Up to 10% of the assigned points (total points of assignment) can be deducted from the earned points for errors in APA style [title page, introduction, purpose statement, level heading, conclusion, references, citations, and format], spelling, and/or grammar.|
|Final Total||10 points|