Factors that Influence Addiction Assignment
- Differentiate static and dynamic risk and protective factors of addiction.
- Explain how physiological and psychological factors influence the initiation, maintenance, abstinence, and recovery from chemical and behavioral addictions.
Have you ever wondered what makes one person become addicted to a substance while others, who use the same substance, do not? Every person has risk and protective factors that influence their thoughts, feelings, behavior, and physiology. These factors interact with genetics, internal traits, and social and environmental influences (Social Determinants of HealthLinks to an external site.) to make it more or less likely that someone will become addicted.
Respond to each of the following prompts. Responses to each prompt must be substantive (about 2 pages single-spaced). Be sure to clearly number your responses. Your paper does not need to be in APA format but your references should be included in APA format. Please use both in-text citations and a reference list at the end. This article by Stone, Becker, Huber, & Catalano (2012) may help you get started.
- Explain how useful (or not) static factors and dynamic factors can be from a treatment
- You are a school counselor or nurse. Research ways you could implement strategies, programs, or interventions at your school that would promote dynamic protectivefactors for your students. Describe: 1) the protective factor you will target, 2) the intervention and how you would implement it, 3) and what outcome you expect. You must cite at least one academic reference using APA formatLinks to an external site..
- You are an addiction counselor in a probation office. Research ways you could implement strategies or interventions for your caseload that could help mitigate dynamic riskfactors for substance use among your probationers. Describe: 1) the risk factor you will target, 2) the intervention and how you would implement it, 3) and what outcome you expect. You must cite at least one academic reference using APA formatLinks to an external site..
This assignment must be your own original work. Please do not copy and paste sentences or paragraphs from any resource, even if you include a citation, it is considered plagiarism to not write in your own words. Submissions are reviewed by UniCheck plagiarism checker. Your similarity index must be below 20%. If plagiarism is detected you may be dismissed from the class. You don’t want to take that risk.