Describe the artist’s role in his or her society/community. What do you think is the artist’s message?
For the Unit VII Essay, you will visit an art museum of your choice. You may visit one in person or take a virtual tour via the Internet. Below is a list of museums that offer virtual tours that you may want to review for this assignment.
- National Gallery of Art
- The National Gallery
- The National Gallery
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum
- North Carolina Museum of Art
- National Museum of Wildlife Art
- National Museum of Women in the Arts
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- The State Hermitage Museum
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- National Museums Liverpool
- The Israel Museum
- Tel Aviv Museum of Art
- The Cleveland Museum of Art
- New Orleans Museum of Art
- Musco De Prado
- Musee Rodin
- Andy Warhol Museum
- The National Gallery of Art
- deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum
- Boca Raton Museum of Art
- Van Gogh Museums
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- The J. Paul Getty Museum
- Denver Art Museum
- Art on the Atlanta Beltline
Please include the name and location of your museum in your introductory paragraph.
For this essay, write about two artworks from the periods we read about in Unit VII: Renaissance, Baroque, Impressionist, or Post-Impressionist periods.
For each piece, address the following:
- Include the title, artist, date, medium, and scale.
- Describe the artwork.
- Describe the artist’s role in his or her society/community.
- What do you think is the artist’s message?
- What are the cultural significances of this piece?
- What historical elements are included in this piece?
Your essay will be at least five pages in length and include the following:
- Title page (1 page)
- Written Essay (2 pages)
- Image(s) (1 page)
- References (1 page)
Use Times New Roman 12- point font. Double space all lines, and indent the first line of each paragraph. Your title page should be correctly formatted with a Running Head and page number listed in the Header area. Include your title, name, and school centered on the title page. Your written essay should contain at least three paragraphs (including an introductory and conclusion). Your last page will have the word References centered at the top.
All sources used, including the museum, must be cited and included on the reference page. When you use a statement from any outside source, you need to credit the source in this format: (last name of author (s), year) at the end of the sentence before the period.
For direct quotes, use quotation marks and add the page number to your citation. An example of a citation for a quotation from page 5 of our textbook would be (Frank, 2014, p. 5).
If you would like additional assistance with APA, click here to access the CSU Citation Guide.
Click here to access an example of this essay.
Note: If you are having trouble researching your museum artworks, you may find it helpful to search e-books for additional information. By choosing the fine arts topic first, then typing in a specific style of art (such as Renaissance or Baroque artists), you will find several options in the Art Appreciation Libguide.