Literacy is such an important part of any Early Childhood classroom. Although children use and expand their literacy in almost every activity and curriculum area in which they participate, creating a child-centered language arts area focuses on the importance of literacy as a central core of the curriculum.
Consider the elements of a quality Pre-K language and literacy learning center. For your discussion, consider the following points:
- What criteria will you use when setting up your center?
- What literacy materials would be present?
- How can you connect the language/literacy center to the other centers present in the classroom?
- How does the center support the emergent reading and writing development of the children?
- How will you, the teacher, support the skills that need to be learned in the center?