A split sentence is one in which a juvenile is waived to adult court and then given a juvenile sanction and an adult sanction. If the offender fails the juvenile sanction, he or she will automatically be given the adult punishment.
- Using the library, course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research the advantages and disadvantages of split sentences and any other pertinent issues with regard to split sentencing.
- Address the following in 600â€“900 words:
- What is split sentencing? Describe in detail.
- Provide and describe 1â€“2 examples of split sentencing successes.
- Provide and describe 1â€“2 examples of split sentencing failures.
- Based on your research, is split sentencing an effective solution to a juvenile problem? Why or why not?
- Many opponents feel that juvenile offenders issued a split sentence are simply getting off easy. Do you agree with this sentiment? Why or why not?
- Remember to support your arguments with scholarly resources.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style