baber makatla only nuclear medicine
No less than 400 words 5 scholarly references include in text citations.
Nuclear medicine is a specialized branch of modern medicine that exploits the process of radioactivity for imaging, diagnosis, and treatment. Many imaging techniques inject small amounts of radioactive material into the body, which are then tracked by a sensing device specific to the type of radiation emitted from that material. Radiation has also been used to destroy diseased tissue, typically beyond the reach of standard surgical techniques.
Using the readings for this module, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, write a paper on nuclear medicine. Address the following:
- Explain the scientific and technical concepts related to nuclear medicine. Consider the following questions when you construct your response:
- What type of radiation is typically exploited in most nuclear medicine procedures?
- How are patients prepared for nuclear medicine procedures?
- What are the advantages and limitations of nuclear medicine?
- What ailments are typically diagnosed and treated via nuclear medicine procedures?
- Evaluate a minimum of three applications of nuclear medicine relating to any of the following topics:
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans
- Gallium scans
- Indium white blood cell scans
- Iobenguane scans (MIBG)
- Octreotide scans
- Hybrid scanning techniques employing X-ray computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Nuclear medicine therapy using radiopharmaceuticals
Support your statements with examples. Provide a minimum of three scholarly references.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.doc.
By Wednesday, June 4, 2014, deliver your assignment to the M4: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Demonstrated an understanding of the basic scientific and technical concepts of nuclear medicine.||
|Evaluated current or future applications of nuclear medicine with three real-world examples.||
|Provided at least three reliable references to support examples of current and future nuclear medicine applications.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||